Saturday, January 25, 2014

Welcome to My Universe

My interest in space started about 5 years ago in my bedroom. I randomly came across a thin paperback lying in my family's bookshelf, Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays, by Stephen Hawking. I say "random" because it clearly did not belong to me, it also did not belong to my father who doesn't read English books, let alone one on such a niche topic.

Out of curiosity (and boredom during my unemployed days), I flipped open the book and was not able to put it down until I finished all 161 pages! I cannot begin to describe how fascinated I was with our mysterious universe. How can something get sucked into a black hole and disappear? How can a twin return from space travel and age less than the other twin? Why are we seeing the light of the early days of a distant star when it is actually dying? How did it all begin and was there a beginning at all to this infinity? Why? Why? Why??? I was desparate to know all the answers!


To this day it still remains a mystery who this book belongs to, but without it I would never have begun to appreciate this extraordinary man Stephen Hawking and our extraordinary cosmos. I hope to take you with me on a voyage to outer space (without the hefty price tag) and show you what's beyond the silver-lined clouds and the dark night sky.

2 comments:

  1. Fellow space enthusiast, I'm Loving the blog. Never knew you were into reading, exploring, searching about all things Universe. I read a few posts, looking forward to reading many many more. Hopefully our paths cross again soon Miss B :) then we can go for a couple of rounds of ping pong again. - Your old pal, Niraj

    ReplyDelete