Monday, February 17, 2014

Darwin Deez x Napoleon Dynamite

Recently digging Darwin Deez, a cosmically expressive indie band from NYC. Randomly stumbled upon their song Constellations in The Happy Hipster playlist on Spotify. This one's really addictive!

"Constellations"
Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are
There's a million little lights when the sky turns black tonight
Are there patterns in our skies, are patterns only in our eyes?

Or is a constellation, just a constellation?
Is a constellation, just a consolation?

Wrinkle, wrinkle little scar, count the freckles on my arm
If freckles don't mean anything, does anything mean anything?

Or is a constellation, just a constellation?
Is a constellation, just a consolation?

We are twinkling stars resurrected
Just like twinkling stars we seem connected but I know that

A constellation is just a constellation
Constellation is just a consolation


The science teacher I never had


Another one with great lyrics (but not as catchy):

"Red Shift"*
Spiral galaxies would turn in your eyes
When I came by with a small surprise
You loved all of my little quarks, so what went wrong?
Don’t superstring me along, come on

Was there a big bang that I just missed?
Did some explosion cause a redshift?
‘Cause you’re moving away from me but what did I do?
The universe is mostly empty space without you

Wave or particle, I can’t be both
So just say which way you like me most
I can be an experiment in your bedroom lab
To figure how the light we had went bad

[chorus]

I’ll build a collider and smash us to bits
To see what’s inside us, to see if we stick
‘Cause I will try anything this side of the Milky Way
To figure out why in the world you’re drifting away

[chorus x2]


*Red shift is a term to describe wavelengths from light or electromagnet radiation being stretched (lower frequency) hence shifting to the red end of the spectrum. Cosmological redshift is evidence of an expanding universe.




Image:YouTube, ClashMusic.com
Lyrics: azlyrics.com
Reference: Wikipedia, European Space Agency

No comments:

Post a Comment